Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Depression: This Too Shall Pass

No matter how badly I feel right now, I know this will pass. The thought process in my head, the one that tells me that no matter how hard I try, I will never get ahead, is purely a result of biology. 
I'm no scientist. I am not a doctor or a psychotherapist. I did not even take a psych class in college. But I remain convinced after years of working with therapists, 12 step programs, yogis, shamans, voodoo priestesses ( ok I'm kidding about the last two.) but seriously, I know that my depression is a result of conditioning (however unintentional on my parents part) that I was somehow lacking, fear, a genetic predisposition towards depression and therefore a predilection toward self medicating, that my thoughts are a result of trained synapses and messed up brain chemicals .
And even though I take my medication regularly and abstain from mood altering substances, I still have episodes of depression. Potentially dangerous episodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment